Yep. I'm happy. My parents say I was born laughing. I've pretty much been happy ever since. Why? Well, researchers are pretty sure it has something to do with your genetic make-up, but it is also believed that we create our own happiness. I have lived with money and without much money (with always enough food, shelter and books). I've lived through the sturm and drang of jr. high and the pressure and joys of raising a family.
Watching this new documentary (available on iTunes) called Happy, confirmed for me many things that I think I already know about happiness. It has to do with social connections (family and friends), feeling part of something greater than yourself (a community - and giving of yourself to that community), meaningful work (not just your occupation, but also something that you lose yourself in), and feeling grateful, among other things.
One of the researchers in the film mentioned how, a decade ago, it was thought crazy to try to measure happiness, and yet, people were spending a good deal of effort in measuring depression. Now happiness studies are widespread, and the movie website has some links and information about what people are doing about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment