While trolling through blogs a month or so ago, I ran across a mention and recommendation of this new book, The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. (Yes, the author was named after The Lord of the Rings character....)
Touted as a book which could be the literary love-child of a Willa Cather and Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel, set in 1920s Alaska, I was game.
This reimagining of a Russian fairy tale of a childless couple who craft a girl out of snow only to have her come to life starts out strong with lovely imagery and poignant depictions of the main characters. However, if I were in charge of the editing world, I would recommend that the author not only cut about 1/4 of the book (it bogs down a little in the middle with description of ordinary homesteading-type activities), but also rework the last 1/3 of the book. The care that Ivey takes in creating three-dimensional characters in the beginning disappears as she shifts focus from the couple to the Snow Child.
I wanted to love this book, but I merely liked it. I should revise my expectations of glowing reviews for first novels....

1 comment:
I think I read the same blog and am halfway through the book. I wish I had read your review before starting.
Post a Comment