I read a little while ago that one person can only hold about 150 friends in their circle at a time. Perhaps that's true. I don't know. I have 314 "friends"on Facebook, and yes, some of them I know only slightly, but I do know all of them. Maybe one of these days I'll pare down my list, who knows?
When you have lived in a town for a long time, raised your children there, put your heart and soul into working for the community, it turns out that you may have way more friends than you realize.
Frank D'Emilio has been learning this the hard way. If you live in Claremont, you know about the uproar of Frank's dismissal as principal of Sumner Elementary School. You can read one of the Courier articles here. As a former Sycamore Elementary teacher for many years and, most recently, principal for 7 years, Frank reached many people - students and their families. In my case, I know him as fellow parent from my daughters' summer swim team over the course of many years.
It does not surprise me at all that when a Facebook group popped up called We Stand with Frank D'Emilio last Thursday, the number of Facebook supporters swelled, and it has reached over 1,000 as of today. This number does not even count Frank's supporters who are not on Facebook, or who don't log into their accounts very often.
I, in no way, agree with the school board's two decisions, but I am glad to live in the kind of community that has the back of one of our finest members.

1 comment:
The barbarians are at the gates! Well, no; they're now in control of the fort.
And whom might these invaders be? The new Puritans.
Post a Comment