Monday, April 1, 2013

Hamlet's Last Act - Wayang Kulit Style

Due to my various connections with music at the colleges, I heard about a performance of Hamlet (or the last part of Hamlet) as told with shadow puppets and Balinese gamelan (wayang kulit) on Saturday afternoon. Having had some experience with gamelan and having seen a more traditional wayang kulit, I was intrigued, so I had to go.

I did not realize that this performance was part of Pomona College's Edward Gordon Craig Conference, or even that such a conference was taking place, so I was surprised to see the auditorium at the Scripps Humanities building full on a Saturday afternoon.

The performance was just over 30 minutes long (traditional shadow puppet plays can last all night long), and it was helpful to know the story of Hamlet, since it started in the middle, but I enjoyed the different perspective of this well-known play.

A close-up of the king and queen with the tree of life (a symbol from the wayang to signify the beginning and end of the play)


A shot from the gravedigger scene (Alas, poor Yorick)


Puppets seen from behind the screen


Day 2 - Clutter Cleanse: one of two cream pitchers that I own. I rarely use one, so there is certainly no need for two.  It was a gift to me about 20 years ago from a friend who I have long ago lost touch with. I will donate it.

No comments: