Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Testament of Mary

This novella by Colm Toibin is thankfully very short - under 90 pages. Our book club will be discussing this, and it will be interesting to see what others thought. This is the story of Jesus' death and resurrection told from his mother's point of view.

I did not think it good at all. First of all, the prose (which some say is beautiful) is dull. The sentence structure does not vary very much, and it is repetitive, making plodding. One reviewer on Amazon pointed out the complete lack of research Toibin has done in understanding the time. I'm not sure exactly what religious point the author is trying to make, and I would not recommend this book to anyone.

* * *

Day 23 and 24 - Clutter Cleanse: I've had a number of books listed on paperback swap that no one has ordered in several years, so I'm giving them away. 1) Nectar by Lily Prior (another terrible book club choice) and 2) a Dave Barry book - it was funny once through, but not a keeper

No comments: